Duke Street Prison
Duke St Prison
Duke Street Prison also known as Bridewell is one of 8 prisons which used to stand in and around Glasgow. By 1840 most of these were closed except Duke Street Prison .
After the transfer of responsibility to the state from local authorities, HM Prison Barlinnie was built in the Eastern suburbs of the city in 1882 in order to take over from ‘Bridewell’ which eventually remained open as a women’s prison until 1955.
Cathedral House Hotel
Cathedral House Hotel was built in 1877 as a hostel for inmates released from nearby Duke Street Prison. Activity includes a ghost which passes guests on the stairwell and two children being sighted and giggling children heard on the top floor.
As Duke Street prison held women prisoners from around Scotland, many Suffragettes and political activists were imprisoned here whose protests at the living conditions would eventually lead to the closure in 1955. It was demolished in 1958 to eventually make way for the Ladywell housing scheme which was built on the site from 1961–1964 and stands till this day. The only remaining structure of Duke Street Prison is some of the boundary wall.